10 Super-Cute Trends You Should Never Wear to Work
1. Ruffles, Ruffles Everywhere One ruffle can be feminine, but an abundance of cotton candy-colored ruffles is straight-up girly. That’s great for the weekend, but it’s tough to take someone seriously when they are dressed like a kid, and you deserve to be taken seriously at work.
2. Graphic Totes Would the head of your company show up to a meeting with her things in a pineapple tote bag? Then neither should you. Your work bag doesn’t have to be boring, but a solid-colored leather bag with some structure is much more work-appropriate than a flimsy cotton tote.
3. Over-the-Top Nail Art Nail art is the absolute best! But, like any other accessory, some nail art is better suited to the weekend than the workplace. So if you wouldn’t wear gold glitter shoes to the office, you may want to reconsider showing up with those gold glitter nails. Maybe no one will care, but, then again, maybe they will. Do you really want to risk looking unsuitable in the eyes of your boss for a manicure that’s going to chip off in a few days anyway?
4. Bow Shoes So sweet! The thing is, sweet usually doesn’t get the promotion. Strong, sharp, and powerful — those are the words you want to embody.
5. Animal Tops Kittens on your Instagram, kittens on your bed sheets — kittens, kittens everywhere! Except on your chest when you are at the office. You can still wear prints, but if you want to look fierce rather than flirty, it’s best to stick with sharp, abstract prints and geometric colorblocking.
6. Big, Glitzy Statement Necklaces It can be fun to dress up your weekend look with some glitzy costume jewelry, but unless you work at a Halloween store, “costume” and “office” are two words that should never mix.
Gold Statement Necklace, LOLI BIJOUX (Available at Bluefly), $38; Gold Tassel Necklace, LELE SADOUGHI, $225; Drop Pendant Necklace, TORY BURCH (Available at Shopbop), $250; Gold Choker, BAUBLEBAR (Available at Nordstrom), $44
7. Peasant Blouses I don’t care how boho your spirit is; when you are at work you are not a peasant. You are a queen. A queen who rules with an iron fist!
8. Hair Jewelry Work hair accessories should be functional first and decorative second. But, like, a distant second. The simpler, the better.
9. Blingy Embellishments Embellishments are everywhere right now, from the runways of Paris to the strip malls of suburbia. The problem is that 99 times out of 100, only the highest-quality embellishments actually look expensive and even then, it just takes a couple missing beads and loose threads for a piece to go from beautiful to busted. That said, if you can’t imagine wearing clothes without a little something extra, do yourself a favor and stick to zippers, grommets, and other sturdy accents that won’t just fall off when you bump into someone in the hall.
10. Charm Bracelets There is no such thing as a badass charm bracelet, and when you are at work, badass is definitely what you want to be. Hey, it’s tough in the working world. You gotta show people you mean business or they will walk all over you, and you’ve got too much to do to deal with that shit.