The Pros and Cons of Online Dating
There are countless articles and lists separating the pros and the cons of online dating for you- but what it really boils down to is convenience versus uncertainty. How much uncertainty are you willing to risk for convenience? Especially with the tempting fact you could end up meeting “the one” without ever leaving your house- or bed, even. Pro factors lead to the plain and simple fact that online dating is convenient. Other than the obvious spatial convenience (of never having to actually leave your house) other supporting factors include:
- Everyone you meet online is single… or at least looking for someone
- More selection = more opportunity
- Focus your search to specific attributes
- Screen-out individuals with certain attributes
- Get to know someone quickly- less time looking = more time talking
- Less first date stress when you feel like you already know them
- “Good practice” even if it doesn’t work out, it’s been a learning opportunity, right?
- “Safer” by choosing what you share, when and where you meet them
Despite these pros there are still significant cons that deter a lot of us from having faith in online dating. The major one being questionable honesty and ultimately, safety- are they really who they say they are? From there, other doubts and negatives are:
- Inaccurate or misleading information
- Finding too much information online (ie. messages from previous relationships)
- Fear of never actually meeting
- Willingness to relocate?
- Too much focus on material/physical aspects (eye color, salary, etc.)
- Addictive and dismissing opportunities to actually go out and meet people
- Less excitement and little mystery from having gotten to know the person before meeting them
- Costs- not all online dating sites are free and many make you buy months of membership at a time
With that being said, it seems like online dating is a game of chance and quantity over quality. So where do you find a better balance of both opportunity and security? Many have been discovering matchmaking- a service that wants to understand you deeper than a questionnaire and find you a match using more than a computer algorithm. It keeps the opportunities open with added benefits such as security, confidentiality, high quality singles, completely tailored and personalized service, support, advice, and guarantees. If you’ve tried online dating but left frustrated, find a better avenue like matchmaking, especially if you are still deeply seeking a permanent relationship. It’s definitely worth a try and guarantees you will meet hand-picked compatible matches specifically for you.